8.24.2009

Wedding Gifts


Earlier this summer I received a wedding invitation for one of my good friends from optometry school. Naturally I was looking forward to seeing her again and was excited to attend the wedding, but the idea of finding the right wedding gift was daunting. Usually, it's no big deal to wade through the pages of items on the gift registry, but for some of my friends that just doesn't seem right. I know these lists are created for the benefit of both the guests (to make it easier) and the couple (to make sure they get what they actually want). However, the things are often so impersonal. I would rather get a gift that is one of a kind or will be identified as a wedding present years later. Perhaps my motive is selfish (I want them to remember who gave the gift)......perhaps not (I want them to get something unique that they enjoy)....I guess it doesn't matter as long as the gift is the good.

So that brings me back to the wedding invitation. Argh. I delayed chosing one of the gifts on the registry until a week before the ceremony. Nothing felt right on the lists. I happened to notice on all of the announcements & accompanying papers they had put a symbol. I quickly shot off an email asking about it and found out they had created a symbol out of their initials. Instantly I could visualize it in stained glass. My friend had asked me to make her something out of stained glass show her how it was done. Although we never actually did that, now was my chance to create a piece for her. It was perfect! A day later their gift was complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment