9.27.2009

My starter bird

Many other birders have talked about that one bird that was their "starter bird." You know, that bird they saw early on that peaked their interest in birding.  Although I am a new birder and have hundreds of birds to see in the future (hopefully!), my starter bird was the Red-bellied Woodpecker.  I remember the first time I really got a good look at one through a pair of binoculars. I was so awed by their beautiful barred backs and red caps. I suspect I'll always enjoy seeing these guys. 

A close second is the Black-capped Chickadee.  They're such charming little birds and have a wonderfully social personality.  Every time I see one flitting about in the trees or at my feeder I smile.

1 comment:

  1. Hey lady - you won the shopitupchic gift card! Drop me a note at sally@alreadypretty.com so I can hook you up.

    ReplyDelete